Thursday, February 03, 2011

What to do when you are stuck inside for FOUR days? BLOG!!

Be prepared...this blog is incredibly long!!

We had unusual winter storms this week in Texas! I actually thought I was back in South Dakota for a little bit...the only difference....South Dakota wouldn't have called off school! And yes, my SD friends and family, I know you my think it was a little ridiculous for us to have 4 days of school canceled for weather when ya'll where in the negative 30's and still going to school.
South Dakota is prepared for bad weather ( we have lots of it) and down here...we really weren't that prepared. We had a terrible ice storm followed by 6 inches of snow! Needless to say...without all the snowplows and sand trucks...it was a mess! I am so thankful I didn't have to get outside and drive with my two little loves. Instead we spent alot of time together stuck inside. We played dress up, painted nails, made forts, played hide and seek, colored, and watched way too many episodes of Barney ( it was sad when an episode came on and I looked over at Brent and said" Oooh yah...I actually like this one!")
As soon as I saw the sun come out today, I got out of the house. Hattie and I did a little shopping! Man it felt good getting out!

Here are a few pics from the last few snow days. Oh and a funny story: Today we heard the doorbell and ran to open the door to find two packages. Hattie ran up and said " Nana box" I asked her " Hattie, who are these boxes from? " and very nonchalanty she said " Nana"....and guess what? She was right! I called her nana and told her she sends us too many boxes! : )
She sent the girls valentines outfits.
The other box was from my bff, Jodi. She sent a box of fun presents for the girls!Thanks lady! Your gifts were a huge hit!She pics below....

Big sister feeding her baby sister...we started something here...now every time we get a bottle, Hattie gets the pillow and pats her lap.
my sweet baby girl

My adorable niece, Layla!
Hattie playing with the new doll she got from Jodi!
She didn't put the doll down all day....not even for a nap!! Thanks Jodes!!
Sorry that's not the end of the blog....this is what you get when I have lots of writing time!!


Blogger Awards!


I thought this was a cute idea. And since I was so excited to be tagged in my friend, Audrah's blog awards, I thought I should do it to0. Plus I am going on snow day # 4....we are getting a little crazy being stuck inside for 4 days with an infant and toddler : )



Okay my friend and co-worker, Audrah ,was the one who tagged me in her blog awards. I love reading Audrah's blog...I swear I will be reading it and start laughing out loud because she is hilarious both in person and through her writing. Her blog is mostly about her little guy, Carter, who is adorable! It is lots of fun to work with someone who has a baby too! We don't get to see eachother much during the day but whenver we get a few minutes to chat it is always fun! She is an awesome teacher/co-worker!
Here are the rules to the blog awards


1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you
2. Share seven things about yourself
3.Award 10 great bloggers
4. Contact those bloggers and tell them about the award


Sounds fun huh?



About me:


1. I have been blogging for almost 5 years! I have posted 206 posts in those 5 years. When I first started blogging I didn't follow any other blogs except Kelly' s ( see more in the awards part). Now I have several friends that blog. It is such a great way to share our lives with friends and families that live both near and far.


2. I love kids!! I always have! I became an auntie when I was in 5th grade so I pretty much grew up around young children. I always knew I wanted to work with children...either be a teacher or a professional babysitter ( remember that Sara?) And by the time I was in high school I knew I wanted to go to college and major in education. I am so happy I did! I love teaching!
3.I ALWAYS stop at kids' lemonade stands. ALWAYS! Just ask my two neighbor kids down the street...they told me I was their best customer because I always leave a good tip. I guess I remember what it was like going door to door selling candy, lemondade, play-doh creations, and rocks when I was a kid. Okay...did other kids do that?? I think my sister and I were a little strange...uhmmm maybe we didn't have much to do in South Dakota



4. I was born and raised in South Dakota and I loved it! I don't think I have the "DakOta" accent, but lots of people notice it. Apparently I say words like " tag", "bag" and "flag" wrong...so I am working on it. Anways, growing up in a small town and state was a blessing. I love where we live now, and am excited about raising a familyhere, but I just think how different it is going to be than the way I grew up. No riding bikes around the entire town, no running into people you know almost everywhere you go, no news stations reporting on kids doing good things because there isn't hardly any crime to report, and finally no driving 3 plus hours to shop at a decent mall ( I miss doing that about as much as I miss huge snow storms!)


5. I met Brent when I was a freshman in college ( I can still remember the first time I saw him). We were in several classes and organizations together while in college. He was one of three guys in our education classes. We started dating when I was a junior. Brent started tutoring me in Spanish. The truth is...I was getting an A in spanish class and didn't really need a tutor, but I am glad I pretended I did! Plus now that I don't know much spanish....I blame it on him. We have been married for almost 5 years! We spent the first two living in Puerto Rico....call that an amazing honeymoon! I love my in-laws, sister-in-law and nephew that I "married" in to...if you know these people you know how lucky I am!!



6. I have the best friends and family ever! Not many people can say they have had their best friend their entire life....and I can! Jodi and I were born 5 hours apart. Our moms were in the same room after delivery. We pretty much grew up together! Her parents were like my second parents. We have so many fun memories and whenever we get together all we do is laugh. I love that girl!
We may live very far apart ( Minnesota and Texas) but nothing will ever separate our awesome bond.


I have also known my other best friends my entire life and that's my two older sisters, Kim and Sara. Kim is 10 years older than me and was always my "idol" growing up. Every summer I would visit her in college or wherever she was living and she would spoil me like crazy. Now we only live 25 minutes away. She still spoils me and my girls now!

Sara is probably the funniest person I know and I always tell her that I am so lucky to have her as my sister and bff. Us being 18 months apart was the reason I wanted two kiddos so close together. Almost all of my childhood memories involve her; and our husbands and friends know our hilarious childhood stories by heart because we tell and relive them so much! We only live 10 minutes apart and between the two of us, we have FOUR girls under 3!

All my other best friends were met in college and "adulthood": Sheila, Misty, Kelly and Ruth Ann! I am so thankful for these ladies.

My brother is 11 years older than me, but we have always had a really special connection. We are alot alike. Him and I have a goal to run a half marathon someday with our mom. He calls me every week or every other week to check to see how my diet/ working out is going ( I am not looking forward to telling him how much I ate while stuck inside all week. YIKES) Greg still lives in SD but hopefully one day he will be down here too!

My parents are the best. I always joke that I couldn't do much to get in trouble because my mom was a counselor and could( would) always use reverse psychology on me and my dad was my high school principal. I think they did an amazing job raising us four kids! They are definetly the parents that I hope I can be!

I have two little girls that pretty much own my blog...and that's Hattie and Hollyn. They are my biggest loves! There are days when I just look at these two girls and can't believe they are mine ( ours). It is the greatest joy to watch them grow and change everyday. They make me one proud and happy momma!


7. If I entered a talent show I would have to do my " Lollipop Kid" impression( munkin from the Wizard of Oz) because I am definetly not a good singer and my sister, Sara,
was the family member who got blessed with all the good dance moves!! (HAHA!) If you haven't seen my "lollipop kid" you probably won't get to...I don't do it much any more! : )


Okay and now on to the big awards...drum roll please....


Number 1: Kelly

Kelly started me on blogging so without her, I probably wouldn't be spending my Friday and Saturday nights blogging! Ha!. I remember her and I sitting in " Casa Benny" our first week in Puerto Rico. We were so excited to finally have internet. She told me how she had started a blog and I thought it sounded like a great idea. Who would have known that first week in Puerto Rico that we would be living next to some of our best friends. Our experience in Puerto Rico was made so much better because we had Kelly and Courtney with us everday. We are still very close, although they live in Kansas. Their little guy, Cael ( Hattie's boyfriend) is 2 months younger than Hattie and is a spitting image of Courtney.


Number 2: My Mom
My mom's blog is mostly about her running. She just started a month ago but I am sure she will be doing lots of blogs now that she is retired! Yes it is my mother at the age of 62 that can run a full marathon ( she just did her first full marathon last month in Florida) She is such an inspiration. Whenever people tell me I am like my mother...I thank them!!


Number 3: Sheila and her sister Sommerlyn

These two South Dakota girls keep me up to date with what is going on back in SD! I love reading about my newlywed friend ,Sheila and her husband Mike. They spend alot of time outdoors hunting and fishing. Her sister, Sommerlyn has two adorable little girls. Hattie and Miranda are only weeks apart so we got close emailing back and forth when they were babies.


Number 4: Misty

Misty hasn't been blogging much lately...but she totally has a pass! She just had her 3rd baby! Plus she is moving into a beautiful new house! Misty and I met in college. We do a really good job of staying in touch! Most of it is her: ) I love reading her blog about her 3 kids...they are always doing something new! I was so happy we got to see eachother last summer. We went almost 4 years and have decided that was WAY too long!


Number 5: Shelly

Shelly and I "met" on a pregnancy website when we found out we had a lot in common. We actually had the same due date , but both ended up going past our due dates ( ugh...not fun) and had our babies on the same day!! She is now getting ready to welcome her second baby ( a girl) so it will be fun to compare our stories of life with a baby and toddler. She is also a teacher. Too bad she lives in California. I am sure Noah and Hattie would love playing together if we lived close. I am sure we would be great friends too!


Number 6: Kari

I know Kari through Brent. Her and Brents' parents are really good friends. Kari has a little girl close to Hattie's age. Kari is an amazing writer ( I can tell through the blogs). Her posts are alwasy very honest and heart felt. She is one very strong momma! She is also expecting a second baby and I am very excited for her.


Number 7: Amy

I am so excited that Amy started a blog so that I can keep in touch with her since she isn't teaching at my school this year. She is doing something quite a bit different....staying home with her adorable baby girl! YAY! I know she is loving mommyhood so much!


Number 8: Aly

Aly is another teacher I work with. She is quite the blogger ( sometimes doing 3 or 4 blogs in one day). She doesn't have any children yet, so her blog isn't all about babies. Her blog is all about chic ( is that how you spell "sheek"?) designs and projects. She has a fabulous taste for anything vintage! Check out her blog...it's lots of fun!


Number 9: Becky

Becky is another girl with a great taste for fun designs and projects. She is very talented and crafty! I wish I could have her be my personal teacher for quilting. That would be awesome! She also has two very handsome little guys that occassionaly make an apperance in the blog! : )
Number 10: Aftann

I think Aftann has been blogging for about as long as I have. We were friends in college. She has two little guys that are closer in age that Hattie and Hollyn! WOW! So I knew, from reading her blog, that it is lots of fun having too little ones so close in age!



There are the awards ( not in any specific order)
Goodness...that was long but lots of fun!!

No comments: