Sunday, March 18, 2007

Birthdays!! Birthdays!!

This weekend Brent and I got to experience something new....a Puerto Rican birthday party ( actually not one, but two of them!) We realized that birthdays in PR are much different than what we are used to. When we first got invited to the parties we thought it was strange. The other teachers assured us that it was typical for the children to invite the teachers. On Saturday morning,the mom of one of my students called me to make sure I was going to attend the party.She even offered to come pick me up. We decided to go. We found the house in a very nice area of Guayama. She said the party started at 2:00, so of course, Brent and I were there on time making us the first guests ( we forgot she meant 2:00 Puerto Rico time). After a few hours lots and lots of people came. Down here the birthday parties include all the families invited, not just the kids. It was huge! The kids swam and jumped in a blow up thingy. There was a man grilling pinchos and hot dogs. We had a good time for the entire 4 hours we were there. I told the mom we were leaving and she said the "real happy birthday" hadnt started yet ( that is when all the parents start partying I guess) We left anyways.

Today we had another party to go to in a different town. The parents are so nice and welcoming. We were, again, the first guests there. Pretty much the same things going on at this party. It was nice to talk with some of the parents. So this weekend we didn't really get our "break" from the students, oh well. This week is only four days!! Here are a few pictures I took at the parties. Have a great week!


































No comments: