Sunday, November 19, 2006

Parents are here!!

We had such a busy week...oh my!! On Thursday we had the big Puerto Rico Discovery Day celebration. My class did a traditional dance and dressed up. One of the other teachers brought outfits for Kelly and I to were too. She also told us the day before the dance that when our students were singing the bomba, she was going to come to us to have us sing a part. We practiced so much the night before, and on Thursday we both were able to recite our parts! It was a big suprise to everyone! I don't have pics yet, someone else took some of our class. But we did video show. After school on Thursday Brent and I drove to San Juan to pick up my parents. It was easy to find them in the airport and we got back to our house around 10. My parents came to the school on Friday and got to meet our classes. The principal inivited them to the staff lunch, where they sampled many traditional foods from Puerto Rico. Friday we toured Guayama, and then we went to this awesome restuarant, Tranqulidad, with the Marshes. The restaurant was right on the ocean and we watched the sunset, while drinking pina coladas. It was a nice time.

On Saturday we went to Old San Juan. We went through two forts, San Cristobal and El Morro. They were both built in the 1500's and are in pretty good shape still. Lots of history. After the forts we ate lunch and the Hard Rock Cafe and then went shopping at the vendors. My mom and I found some really neat jewelry made from sea glass.


Today we went to El Yunque, the rainforest. It was such a nice day..no rain at all! We hiked to a waterfall and my mom and I got in and swam. We ate lunch at the cafe on the top of the mountain, Great Burgers!


We have been having so much fun the past couple of days. Tomorrow we are off to Vieques, a small island near PR. We have to leave early in the morning and take a ferry boat to the island. We will have more pictures soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SOOO happy for you guys that your parents are there! I know you have been super excited for them to get there! Enjoy your time with them! Tell them we say hi! Have a great Thanksgiving!! Love and miss you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are having a good time!! I bet they are glad to see you too!! Be sure and tell them I said hello!! I miss you guys tons!!
Love,
Sheila