Sunday, April 15, 2007

An Awesome Spring Break Vacation!!

Rick and Cathy are leaving tomorrow and it doesnt seem like they were here for almost 2 weeks!! We have been doing so much and having such a good time!
On Monday we went to Ponce to visit their beautiful town plaza and stores. We wanted to visit the pallace of Don Q, but it was closed on Monday( like so many places that day). Not only did Rick and Cathy get to see the really neat theater, they also got to experience a Puerto Rican birthday party. When Rick and Cathy visited the school last week, one of my students invited all of us to her party. It worked out so that we went to Ponce that day and were close to the bowling alley. This party was like the others, and just lasted a very long time. Brent and I bowled 4 games!!

This is an old fire station in Ponce

This is so fun!!



On Tuesday we visited the rainforest, El Yunque. We hiked to a really nice waterfall. When we got there we found that would have to share the waterfall with tons of other people. We decided not to get in the water. On our way back up, we stopped an get in the stream. The water was SO cold! I told Rick that if he dunked himself I would go under too. So , of course, he did!! Very refreshing though!

Lots of peole at Mina Falls


Burr!!!
On Wednesday we went to Old San Juan and toured both forts, San Critobal and El Morro. Both of these forts were built in the 1500's when the country was owned by Spain. They helped protect ships that were passing through the Carribean. After the forts we did a little shopping, lots of walking, and sampled some rum at Case de Don Q.


Does this look familar Dad??



Us infron of El Morro
Brent and Rick enjoying the free rum
Thursday and Friday were spent around Guayama. We spent alot of time at the beach searching for sea glass and sand dollars! The boys went fishing around here and you know what that means... yes, Cathy and I had to go shopping!! We spent some time hiking and trying the "real" Puerto Rican foods!!

Benny and Lola even got to enjoy the beach

Where the heck are we?
Doesn't this look like a postcard?

Rick enjoying is conch pastelillos!
On Saturday we had to wake up very early to drive to the other side of the island for our horseback rides along the beach. My mom found this place when she was here in November and we really wanted to do , but we just didnt have time. I loved that ride. It was amazing!!The worst part about the ride was that I got put on the laziest horse that barely moved and I got stuck in the back with a man from New York, and let's just say I've never heard anyone talk so much!! Mom, I thought about you while I was riding! When you come down next time, we will definetly do that, and you can even ask about riding bareback!!

After the ride we had a nice lunch at a cafe on the ocean and then when to the "blow hole" where you yell " Dame la vaca" if the water splashes, then you have good luck. The water did not splash on us, but the tide was very low that day!!

We had such a great spring break...now I think we need a break to rest. Don't think that will happen because school begins on Tuesday. Oh well!!
Me and Moca
There's Rick on his fast horse!
Riding along the beach

Hey wait for me...come on Moca!!
We hiked to the top of the cliff
Rick and Cathy overlooking the blow hole
Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun!! Wow..you guys will need a break from your break! LOL Kate, I laughed so hard when I read the part about you on your slow horse...I can just picture you talking with the guy from NY! TOO funny!! Have a great week!